Full text of the informational release published by LCOE on 3/13/2020
In light of the recent directive from Governor Newsom and the recommendations of the California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control, the Administrators from all Lassen County school districts met yesterday afternoon to discuss the effects and ramifications created by the current steps being taken to prevent the spread of Covid-19 (the Coronavirus). As we have seen over the last few days, things are changing rapidly, and we will continue to monitor the recommendations from both local and state public health departments.
At this time, there are no confirmed cases in Lassen County, and students in grades K-12 are considered a low-risk population unless they have compromised or weak immune systems. While the risk remains low, all schools will be taking the following precautions:
- Limiting assemblies and/or gatherings of large groups
- Cancelling/postponing Third Grade Lassen County History Day, Fourth Grade Day, 8th Grade Day at Lassen Community College, and the Fine Arts Festival
- Practicing social distancing as recommended
- Promoting handwashing and the use of hand sanitizers
- Cleaning and disinfecting busses on a daily basis and greatly-increased disinfecting measures in classrooms and common areas
- Encouraging staff members and students who are exhibiting symptoms to stay home as a precaution
- Providing updated information to websites and social media to keep parents updated on the most current information
There are additional resources located on the Lassen County Office of Education website at www.lcoe.org, as well as the California Department of Public Health at www.cdph.ca.gov.
Our primary mission of supporting students’ learning has not changed, and our charge to provide for their needs is the same. We will continue to work with the Office of Emergency Services, Lassen County Public Health Department, and each other to closely monitor the situation and to make decisions in the best interest of our students and the community and provide communication in a timely manner.